How it all began:The original suggestion for a motorcycle club for over 50’s was put forward in a letter by Stephen Dearnley published in the August 1983 issue of “Bike Australia”. This drew two significant responses; One from Rob Hall, a reader at Albion Park NSW, who suggested the present name and motto for the club; The other from Peter Thoemig, then the editor of “Bike Australia”, who sketched the logo and offered support from his magazine if Stephen could get the club off the ground. This was done at an inaugural meeting in Sydney on 6th December, 1983 when the five people present approved a basic constitution and the Ulysses Club was duly formed.From that tenuous beginning it has never looked back and the club now boasts a large and extensive network of members throughout Australia, New Zealand and South Africa.Why the name Ulysses?The name comes from a poem of the same name by Alfred Lord Tennyson. It tells how the great Greek hero Ulysses, now middle aged and securely in charge of his kingdom of Ithaca, is getting bored with things around him and longs to go adventuring again with his shipmates of old. It describes very well indeed the sort of person who still has enough spark to go on riding into middle and later years. Too long to quote here, you will find it in any good poetry anthology, such as the Albatross Book of Verse.How to joinTo join the Waikato Branch of the Ulysses Club of New Zealand you need to contact the Branch Coordinator, (see the contacts page for details).The Branch Coordinator will supply you with a Membership Application form and introduce you to the club.
Fill in the form and attend two rides or events over a two month period and return the form for acceptance, to the Branch Coordinator. The form is then forwarded to the National Administrator for processing.
Name badges and bike badges (@ $10.00 each) and other gear is also available through the Coordinator or from the National office.
You may apply directly to the National Secretary if you reside in an area with no branch.
- STOP PRESS New Branch Coordinator appointed!!!!!
- Child Cancer Charity Cheque
- The Whitebait Run to Mokau
- The Great Soap Run, Sunday 16th July, after Breakfast at the Cook
- Aotearoa Road, Ngaroma. On a gloomy yet majestic day in the mighty Waikato!
- David and Sabine’s Sunset Adventure
- Old bastards on bikes on gravel! Oct 2015
- Picnic ride to Kaniwhaniwha reserve pics
- David Coy’s 500 miler, parts one and two, 20th Oct 2013 and 28th Oct 2013
- Gentle Annie ride to Bayview, Napier
- Carterton, Southward’s, Waitotara 2-nighter
- Remembrance Ride pics, Oct 2012
- Phil’s BOOBS Tour, May 2012